Ayres Hall on the campus of The University of Tennessee – Knoxville was originally constructed in 1921 with reinforced concrete using the F & A System. The renovation included adding three new elevators and removing the 1970s elevator. The fourth-floor attic space was modified to include mechanical rooms. Existing multiwythe brick walls were removed from the attic and replaced with light steel framing. The removed brick was used throughout the building to repair non-load-bearing and load-bearing walls. The removal of the brick mass from the attic allowed construction of the new mechanical rooms without triggering a seismic upgrade. A portion of the existing foundation was underpinned to allow construction of the elevators and increase square footage for equipment rooms. The reinforced concrete stairs were demolished and reconfigured for egress requirements.